Westin Buy direct or resale

Forum Forums Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares Westin Buy direct or resale

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    vacationtime1

296000 StarOptions are worth about $6-7K, not $15K.

CPNY

I’d say less considering you have to use them ASAP. I don’t like the extra points being offered. It’s almost like they want you to get used to having loads of points, then when you’re back to what you bought you’ll want more. So you’ll buy more. Less is more as they say aha.

Tinman1412

Ok – sounds like it’s an overwhelming endorsement for resale at WOKV at $15K to secure a Hawaii every other year i summer months and try to for 8 months at Sheraton Mountain Villa.

Also is there a good time of year to. It resale?. When is MF due?

Tinman1412

Sorry typo. Meant to ask if there is a good Time to buy resale during the year?. When are MF due?

DeniseM

The MF bills come out Nov/Dec and are due in Jan. However, if you buy in Nov/Dec, it’s highly that you can close before the MF is due in Jan. But sellers may not know that, so you may see more for-sale Ads during that time frame.

Tinman1412

One more thing. The resale MF is the same price roughly $2700. I’m buying an annual not once every 2 year. So MF is the same for WKOV resale or WKOVN direct.

grgs

Why not an EOY (every other year) WKORV/WKORVN week and a ski EOY unit, such as Sheraton Mountain Vista (SMV)? This way you’ll have the 12 month window for both. SMV is voluntary, so no options, but the purchase price and mf will be lower. Just something to consider.

Tinman1412

So for EOY do you only pay MF in the year that you use it?. Not every year correct?

grgs

With Westin & Sheraton EOY timeshare weeks, you’ll pay every year, but it will be 1/2 the amount of an EY week, except you do pay the SVN fee each year. Also, I think there may be a small administrative fee ($25?) for the Westin Maui weeks.

CPNY

Keep in mind if you did that, you would pay half the maint fees each year. However you’ll have to pay the $145 vistana network fee every year for the annual WKOVN deed.

Hypothetical
    If the maint fee is 1000 then you pay half Every year
    So 500 each year + 145 for the vistana network fee. = 645 each year

With that being said, an every other year ownership as your only mandatory deed, you’ll be paying an additional 145 in you non use year. I wouldn’t do that. You can absolutely get Sheraton mountain vista at 8 months. I’ve seen availability at 6 (although not holiday weeks Like Christmas or presidents week) but you can still score spring break weeks in March. If you absolutely want 12 month booking in Hawaii then you need to buy Hawaii resale. If you’re ok with booking 8 months out, then I’d look into another mandatory resort with lower maint fees

Tinman1412

I have to say the past 48 hours this forum has been so helpful. I have learned so much about direct vs resale. Based on what I have heard everything thus far and the resale listings available on Redweek and AdvantageVacations. I think below are my order of options based on my criteria

Criteria:
    Hawaii every other year. Ocean View preferred. Will likely go in summer months (June-Aug), Thanksgiving (Nov 22- Dec 1)
    Ski Trip: every other year. Flexible with views

Option: 1 (Least Preferred)
    Buy Direct from Westin at $50K
    Pros: Sign On Bonus (296,000 Staroptions), Marriott Gold

Option 2 : Buy Resale at WKOVN (Nanea) at $15K Annual
    Pros: guaranteed priority to stay in Hawaii with 12-month advance booking
    Cons: Wait for 148,100 StarOptions at 8-month to book 2BR Ski Resort for Christmas/New Year school break (Dec 21-Jan 6) or Spring Break Week (April 2-12)

Option 3: Buy EOY Resale at WKOV (south or north) at ~$8K and Buy Resale EOY Sheraton Mountain Villas at ~$5K
    Pros: Guaranteed Hawaii every other year. Not sure if this will guarantee my Christmas or Spring Break time frame. Possibly less expensive with the lower MF for Sheraton Mountain Villas.
    Cons: 2 separate timeshares to maintain

Option 4: Buy Resale at Kierland. I see listings for $17K
    Pros: Lower MF at $1,600
    Cons: Have to depend on exchange 8-month availability to book Hawaii and Ski trip. May not get either.

At this time, I’m thinking the best situation for me is Option #2, followed by Option #3

Thanks

Tinman1412

Correction: option #2 is resale with WKOV (south or north) not Nanea

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top