Westin Buy direct or resale

Forum Forums Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares Westin Buy direct or resale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Tinman1412

Hi everyone – i’m a newbie so please forgive me for asking something that is probably quite common

I sat through a timeshare for the Westin Ocean villas in Maui. Basically the offer is $50K for 7 nights annually for a 2 BR

There are other sign on bonuses like Gold status and additional 2 weeks that can be used in next 2 years

Is this a good offer? I’ve been looking at a resale on RedWeek and I can get the same deal for $15K?. It’s a mandatory property so I get most of the Benefits except for points conversion to Bonvoy

Seems like a no brainer to me and buy the resale?. Just making sure i’m Not missing anything

Is the resale too good to be true?. The discount in this case is easily $20K

Thanks in advance

SandyPGravel

Resale is definitely the way to go. Congrats at not taking the bait from the developer presentation. Most sign on the dotted line, then find TUG. Also, besides Redweek, Syed is someone who helps with Maui resales. Someone else on here will be able to provide you with his contact information. I’ve seen his name mentioned a lot in regards to Maui resales.

P.S. you might want to ask a moderator to move this thread to the Vistana forum.

CalGalTraveler

Welcome to TUG. Congrats on finding TUG and saving yourself tens of thousands of dollars.

Resale. It is not too good to be true. It is the way to go because such units devalue instantly when you “drive it off the lot.” Spend some time researching and reading the stickies on the Vistana/Starwood forum so you know what you are buying.

In addition to Redweek and TUG which may have unexpected pitfalls for a first time buyer, Syed Sarmad at advantagevacations.com is a recommended TUG real estate broker who can help you with the process of finding an ideal unit.

Also you may want to complete the TUG sticky “What to buy” questions to determine if this is the right timeshare for your situation. The annual Maint Fees aren’t cheap at WKORV. So unless you plan to regularly visit there (annual or every other year) and want a view then you might be better off with a trading unit elsewhere in the Vistana system where you can trade into this resort using StarOptions. You could save as much as $1000/a year but you will have less flexibility and view choices.

BTW…join TUG. It will be the best $15 you ever spent for a timeshare education.

Good luck!

mjm1

Congratulations on finding TUG. Resale is a great way to go.

If you plan to travel to Hawaii every year and care about the view you get from the unit then buy a unit at the Hawaii resort. If view isn’t as important or you don’t plan to vacation there every year look at buying a unit at Westin Kierland Villas in Scottsdale or SVV in Florida, both of which are mandatory resorts. Mandatory means the StarOptions will transfer to a resale owner. The purchase cost is less and the annual maintenance fees are significantly less than those in Hawaii. You can then use the SO’s to make a reservation at 8 months before check in. Another consideration is what time of year you plan to vacation. If during busy seasons then owning where you want to go is likely best.

As mentioned by others Syed is a great resource.

Best regards.

Mike

vacationtime1

If you were seriously considering paying $50K for WKORV, you should consider purchasing ocean front there rather than ocean view. An OF unit (resale, of course) will cost you $28K-$35K and the views are stunning (we own OF; it is the crown jewel of our “collection”). If you are still there, walk the property and check out the relative location and view.

The maintenance fees are the same for an OF center unit as they are for most of the 2bd WKORV units; corner (“deluxe”) units are larger and the MF’s are about $800/yr higher. As a result, the deluxe OF units are the cheaper OF units. Did I mention that the views are stunning?

Another endorsement for Syed — who sold us our OF unit in 2009 http://www.advantagevacation.com.

Tinman1412

Thanks for the feedback. For Hawaii I plan to vacation during the summer months (June-Aug). I’m flexible during these 3 months. If I buy mandatory elsewhere what is the likelihood of getting a spot during these 3 months when the enrollment period starts 8 months out?.

Thanks

vacationtime1

Difficult to impossible. You may be able to reserve a one bedroom unit, you may be able to reserve a studio, but you are unlikely to be able to reserve a two bedroom absent a cancellation and lucky timing. This is for ocean view and island view; reserving ocean front for summer at the eight month mark is not going to happen.

Separately, if you want to reserve Maui at eight months, you should prefer WKORVN over WKORV because the latter has some very lousy parking lot view suites whereas WKORVN has very few suites with truly awful views (room priority is based on the time of reservation).

Tinman1412

Ok got – problem with WKORVN is that it’s voluntary and not mandatory for resale. Which limits you to only you’re home resort and limited transfer benefits correct?.

I’ve been to Nanea and it’s newer and nicer thanks villas north/south

vacationtime1

WKORVN is definitely mandatory; Nanea is voluntary.

Tinman1412

So in my situation where Hawaii and Ski resort are my 2 destinations that I want visit , is the Westin Flex buying direct the best option? Since my 2 vacation spots can be booked 12 months out? Or is it only my “home” location that can be booked 12 months out

Thanks

vacationtime1

If your goals are Hawaii weeks and ski weeks and if the Westin Flex Trust owns enough of those weeks to meet demand, it will work for you (but only buy resale); everything in the Westin Flex Trust would be your “home resort” so you could reserve at twelve months.

I am not a fan of these flex trusts not only because it is impossible to know what they really own but also because it is impossible to estimate how many buyers of the flex trust will be competing with me for the weeks I want (yes, Hawaii weeks and ski weeks).

CPNY

Where would you want to go to more? Hawaii or skiing? If you don’t mind Sheraton mountain vista I’d buy Westin Ocean Villas. Also, if you buy WKOVN resale, you’ll most likely retain the value on resale. Because flex is voluntary, you’ll likely lose anything you pay for it. Sheraton flex resales are already going for free, I assume Westin will follow. Another option is buying Westin Kierland villas 2 bedroom worth. 148K Star Options. You’ll be able to book 8 months at any vistana resort. Westin riverfront would likely have no availability for ski week at 8 months which is why I ask if you’re ok with Sheraton mountain vista.

Also, when will you go to Hawaii? Are you bound to school holidays? I’ve gotten oceanfront reservations in Westin Maui during April and May at 8 months out so if you travel during low season, owning there is t necessary.

Tinman1412

I would rotate each year, Maui one year and then Ski the next.

For Maui it would be the summer months (June-Aug) possibly Thanksgiving week.

For Ski it would be Christmas or spring break.

Based on my criteria the resale option at WKOV would limit my Ski booking to 8 months but there is a chance with Sheraton Mount Vista since it’s category 5 where as Riverfront is category 7.

If I buy WKOVN then I can book Maui or anyplace within the 22 Westin villas at 12 months and lock in Hawaii or Ski. In this case I would still get Westin Riverfront guaranteed during Christmas?.

The offer at Nanea is week 1-50 excluding so does that mean I can’t ever book Christmas week? Or do I just wait for 8 months?

Hope this summary helps. Right now i’m On the fence with a WOKV resale for $15K vs $50K direct with WOKVN along with 2 extra weeks of StarOptions (296,000). I would put a $15K value on the 296,000 points. So we’re really comparing $15K at WOKV vs $35K at WOKVN

Based on my Maui and Ski desire what makes sense long term?

DeniseM

You might get Ocean Front the first week of June or late in August, but it’s a long shot. Floating view is available all summer, if you are flexible and make your reservation the very second the reservation window opens.

Also, when you make a Staroption reservation you can only reserve Floating view (unknown view) or ocean front. You cannot reserve Ocean View with Staroptions – they don’t offer it.

With a floating view, you should expect to get an “Island View” which may be a parking lot view, a parking garage view, or a park view, far from the water. Some people care about that and some don’t.

The offer at Nanea is week 1-50 excluding so does that mean I can’t ever book Christmas week? Or do I just wait for 8 months?
    NEVER – at all 3 phases of the resort, weeks 51 and 52 were sold as fixed event weeks and if an owner doesn’t use their week, Vistana hoovers it up and puts it in their rental pool.

CPNY

I agree with Denise, simply because she knows a lot but yes to everything she said. Don’t expect weeks 51-52, and if you have a floating view you can’t expect much in terms of the view. Imo I’d take the change with a WKV resale simply because the maint fees are almost half at what you’re looking at. I’d then book at the 8 month mark for all Hawaii resorts or ski weeks. You may also be able to split the unit and use interval for exchanges in some instances. You could get two trips out of one. If I were going to drop 15K in a resale I’d do it at WKV but that is me. You specifically want hawaii much more than I would so buying the resale sounds like it’s the way to go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top