Forum Forums Timeshare Companies GLOBAL TRAVEL NETWORK – HAS ANYONE USED THIS? PROS AND CONS?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Doug W.

Like I said in an earlier post that we did buy from them but have not used it. We do get emails from on specials that they have I looked at them and thought that they were good deals if you were going to that resort.

Tara B.

Would you like to buy my stars? Can’t really use ours anymore. I think we have a lot of stars since we have never used it.

THANKS!!

Holly P.

When I went to the presentation for GLOBAL TRAVEL NETWORK, my husband and I were surprised to find that we actually left with our vacation with no obligations! We went on the all inclusive vacation for such a low price! It was so wonderful! We got so pampered! we stayed at a five star resort and loved every min of the vacation we have so many pictures that i try to live that moment for ever. I recommend all of my friends family and co worker to check out GLOBAL TRAVEL NETWORK!!!

Thank You The Duffels Family

Peter P.
    Participant

Any one give them their timeshare in exchange. Did they ever transfer the deed so your maintenance fees stopped

Jim W.

I just joined this forum to do research on Global Travel Network. My wife and I just bought 3 stars and 6 expressways for just over $5100. The annual fees are $149 a year and are waived if we don’t use the stars for whatever reason. The reservation fee is $259 per week. The presentation was close to what we expected as we have been to these before, but the cost compared to Sunterra or WorldMark was much lower and there was little if any pressure to make the sale. This was probably one reason we bought it. The answered all of our questions respectfully and didn’t pressure us as we brought the price down by almost $3000. They threw in a one week vacation to a very nice resort and a $100 dining gift card after we had pretty much made up our mind and this made us feel much better. They also told us that we had a week to rescind it and get our money back. This also alleviated some of the temptation to yes out of pure urgency. Sure there are probably some better deals out there, but so far we have not felt any buyer’s remorse and think it’s a pretty good value. It appears as though the only real disadvantage to us is that you cannot spread a week over several different days. You pay for the whole week, even if you just use it for a few days. They did say that you can have friends or relatives stay for the other days and pay you for it. They weren’t pressuring to sell to others as in network marketing, but they indicated that they are willing to spend $200 to cater an in-home presentation and they would pay $300 for each referral who signed up and would waive the total cost if we got five couples or 10 individuals to sign up. What we liked is that they didn’t tell us about the referrals until after we made a decision. As I am still researching it, I am sure I maybe missing some cons, but as long as the pros outweigh the cons, we are very content. Again, 3 or more weeks of cheap accommodations for life for $5000 seems like a good deal, especially considering the free one week vacation they’re throwing in for a nice resort by itself would probably run around $2500.

R P.

Via researching the internet GRN looks to be a Multi Level Marketing scheme.

On one of their sites it says “ONE TIME COST: There is a $2,995 one-time cost to join the travel club membership at the lifetime platinum level which quite frankly, is the only way to own it. There’s no recurring fees unless you are opting to be an affiliate and generate commissions, then you’re charged a $100 a year affiliate fee. It pays for your company website, hosting and keeping you on the books”.

So, why were you charged $5100 ?

R P.

You also might look at this site (www.ripoffreport.com) before making a decision to rescind or not …. it looks like GRN’s members are the ones defending the company.

Steve M.

I have received a number of solicitations from this firm, with all kinds of great sales talk. But when getting into the details of what they are offering, I could not see the benefits for the price.

One of the problems with this type of a club, is how long they HAVE been around, and more importantly, how long the WILL be around. Your membership is only good for as long as the club, or time share resort you buy into lasts. And there are clubs and resorts going into bankruptcy every day. Do you actually OWN anything with this, or is it just a promise of benefits in return for a hefty front fee?

Your posting stated that in addition to the $5100 buy in you are paying a fee for each week you book. Have you looked at the prices being charged for booking stays at the resorts you want to travel to, at the current prices being charged by the owners?

If you are paying $250 a week plus an annual $150 in fees, for a room you could get outright for $500; you have to rent 50 times to just break even if you only use one week a year. Use two weeks a year, and your down to 14 years to break even. Jump to 4 uses a year, with 1000 in fees for the rooms and 150 for the annual fee, and rooms that could be rented outright for 500, and your still at 6 years, just to break even.

And I have heard horror stories about people who quickly find that they can only get reservations in the off season, when the resorts would otherwise be offering huge discounts anyway.

I guess my question to you is, have you really calculated exactly what your getting for your membership. Do some research to see exactly what the going rate is to rent weeks at the resorts of your choice, the weeks you want; and compare this to the costs using your membership. If it is taking 5, 10 or more years to just recoup your investment, them you might want to make use of the opt out clause and rethink your decision.

If on the other hand, your travel choices and the prices you would pay to rent from existing owners at the resorts, versus the cost of the membership proves to be in your advantage, then by all mean enjoy your savings.

The number one mistake I think most people make is to look at a single years savings, and forget you paid a hefty price to get that savings. You need to map out 5 or 10 years of planned travel, and compare the cost of renting directly from owners at the resort, since there is nearly always owners who can’t use their stays; with the price to use the same rooms, the same weeks at the same resorts through the Club. On the one hand, you have the price you pay the owner to rent, plus any resort surcharge, if any. On the other hand, over say 5 years, you have the original $5100 investment, plus five years of annual fees at $150 ea, plus the $250 reservation charge for each room. Do the math, and you will either be shocked, or pleasantly surprised. Either way you will know if your decision to buy was the right one.

Jim W.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into. Also, it looks like GRN and Global Travel, which is part of GCI, are different. GCI also haswe bunch of products that can be bought for wholesale prices and owns a travel agency that will match airfares or provide significant discounts for international airfare. I will do more research and crunch the numbers and rescind if I can see there’s more value from renting from timeshare owners. I’ll also look to see if there is more value from purchasing a membership in the secondary market. I haven’t yet seen much in terms of financial stability or potential for bankrupcy, but I’ll look into that as well. Any websites that you feel are helpful to review would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Ricky B.

I have a membership and have been a member for a while now. I paid about the same as you (Can’t recall exactly). I think that 3 stars is kind of slim though.

The MLM company everyone is talking about is different than this. This one is not an MLM. I did my research just like you and found two companies using the same name. So don’t worry about that part of it.

I have found it hard to book exactly what I want on any short notice. It’s kind of like we get what’s left over after everyone else with a real time share are done trading. I have booked some great stuff on the expressways. In fact, just got back Saturday from an expressway at Lawrence Welk in Sandiego California (Escondido). If you ever see this one show up in your expressways, book it. Really nice place that would run $200 – $300 per night. We found 2 of them available on expressways and booked them so my Sister in law and her family could come with us. Simple AMAZING and that trip alone made me feel better about my membership. So keep your eyes open for that one if interested in going to California. A really great place. 5 stars in my book.

Some of the others we have booked where a little run down and older. Like I said, seems like the leftovers but if you use it often, you will get your monies worth.

They said you can book 60 days out but if you are going to a popular destination, You are going to need more time to get what you want. The more time ahead you book, the better. I also think 3 stars is kind of slim. Yeah, you can book 3 weeks on that if all of the stars and moon align just right. I find myself using 2 – 3 stars for 1 week if in peak season and in a desirable place. But then again, i always need a 2 bedroom because I have kids.

All in all I like my membership and have stayed in some great places. I wish you would have gotten one more star for that price but they did give you a good amount of expressways which i actually have used more often than my stars.

I hope this helps.

R P.

With so many ultra nice resorts out there, why would you pay good money for a club membership to stay in a leftover or run down resort?

As far as booking 60 days out, many timeshare owners that belong to an exchange company deposit their week(s) and book the more popular resorts, destinations and timesframes a year or many months in advance to get what they want. If you’re looking for last minute vacations then you’ll merely get the left overs and run down resorts that this club offers.

Ricky B.

I agree. I guess if I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy resale Worldmark points and spend about the same amount. I think you can get more out of buying a resale timeshare ownership in Wyndham. I didn’t know that when I started but if I where doing it all over again, that i what I would do.

I hope this helps.

Jim W.

Thank you very much for the info. I am also wondering about the free 1 week vacation they through in from Time Out Vacation. I read some horror stories about people not getting their $200 deposit back or not being able to book. Not sure if this is true. We may try to get a better deal or rescind and buy in the secondary market. Funny, my wife and I are staying at a nice Diamond Resort courtesy of an exchange from my parents for our anniversary. After listening to their pitch this morning, I feel even more confused about the vacation ownership. One spends a lot more for points and annual fees, but nothing to stay at the resort, but with an annual fee of $3000. This after paying 20k+ to get 15,000 points worth 3-4 weeks. Seems like eBay or TUG might have much better deals for resale. Thoughts? Thanks again for your advice.

R P.

If I were looking to buy a timeshare or into a points system I would check Ebay on a daily basis where you can get the best deals out there and many are free. Also Redweek and Tug have bargain basement timeshares that are somtimes free including closing costs.

Ricky B.

Join redweek for $14.99 for the year and pick up a great deal here. I just saw 20,000 worldmark by whyndham points for around what you paid for global travel network. That’s a great deal in my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top